Basic compensation for a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) is established under the Members’ Remuneration and Pensions Act. Effective April 1, 2021, the annual basic compensation each Member receives is $111,912.39. The 2007 Report of the Independent Commission to Review MLA Compensation included the recommendation that Members’ basic compensation be increased April 1 of each year in accordance with the BC Consumer Price Index.
Basic compensation is payable from election day until the day before the next election. It is processed by Payroll Services and paid bi-weekly by direct deposit to a Member’s bank account.
The current gross bi-weekly amount is $4,292.53. Compulsory deductions are made for the Canada Pension Plan and income tax (either the standard tax-table amount or any specified amount on the TD1 tax form, to be completed by each Member). Members cannot pay into, or receive benefits from, the federal Employment Insurance program.
Depending on the benefit plans chosen by each Member, deductions will also be made for the related plan premiums and/or the tax amount related to the value of the taxable benefit received, where the premiums are partly or fully paid by the Province.
Members are required to complete the following forms upon election, and/or following any changes to his or her personal situation that would require the forms to be updated. For more information, please contact Payroll Services:
- Personal Tax Credits Return TD1 (Federal and Provincial)
- Direct Deposit Authorization
- Emergency Contact Form
- Group Life Beneficiary Designation Form
- Pension Plan Member Record
Additional Benefit Forms are also available on the Constituency Office Portal, or by contacting the Payroll Services:
- Application for Optional Life Insurance Form
- Application for Optional AD&D Form
- Beneficiary Designation – Canada Life
- Enrolment / Change / Termination Form for Extended Health Care and Dental Plan Form
- Evidence of Insurability Form
- Optional Family Funeral Benefit Form