Your first speech in the House
New MLAs may use their inaugural speech during the Throne Speech debate to introduce their constituency, describe issues of interest to their communities, and comment on the content of the Throne Speech. There are certain protocols to follow when speaking in the House:
- Address all remarks to the Speaker
- Refer to Members by the name of their constituency or their position
- Refer to notes, but do not read prepared speeches or read from a laptop or other electronic device once recognized to speak
- Observe time limits for individual speeches and debates. See Standing Order 45A
- Speak only from your own desk
For more information, please consult with the Office of the Clerk or refer to Rules of Debate in the Standing Orders.